Garden Club Members Receive Awards
The Garden Club of Woodbridge had several winners at the 41st annual Federated Garden Clubs of CT “Gateway to Springtime” flower show in February. Winners from the club:
- Petite Design, Spring Mornings winners; Barbara Bosco, 1st place, Dewdrops-a Reflective Design; Leslie Martino, 1st place and Petite award, Robins Arriving-a Tubular Design; Cindy Marien, 2nd place, Rising Early-a Parallel Design;
- Leslie Martino, 1st place and Elfin award, with a Mammillaria Elongata “Copper King’ plant;
- Joanne D’Angelo, 2 Honorable Mentions in photography, “Come this Way” and “Hats off to the Garlic”;
- Leslie Martino, 2nd place, Moonrise-a Creative Line Mass Design;
- Mary Ann Tyma, 3rd place, Time for Gardening-a Featured Plant Material Design;
- Mary Ann Tyma, Honorable Mention, a Bee Pin-Artistic Crafts.
On March 7 President Cathy Wick opened the garden club meeting by welcoming members of the Spring Glen Garden Club. She announced that member Cindy Marien had become a Master Gardener. The guest speaker, Alisha Crutchfield-McLean from Bloom Florist in New Haven, customized several designs for the members. Alisha described Bloom Florist as a multi-concept gathering space consisting of a flower shop, gift shop, café, wellness room, workshops and an event meeting space. Her first creation used a basket with Oasis as the anchor for parrot tulips, roses, carnations, Gerber daisies, and tree ferns (Alisha generously lined the basket with plastic before inserting the soaked Oasis to prevent leaking). This design along with her other arrangements were raffled off at the end of the meeting.